Is the Disney Movie Club Worth It? Learn How It Works!
This post may contain affiliate links and I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you if you make a purchase from one of these links. This keeps Remodelicious alive!
We’ve been getting the sticker + marketing pack in the mail for years, but I never thought much of the Disney Movie Club. As toddlers, my kids were perfectly happy to watch Frozen & Cinderella on repeat. We really didn’t need a big collection of movies and it was too much information for me to worry about with toddlers in the house with a tired, self-employed mama.
As they have gotten older, and more demanding, our need for entertainment has grown. We’ve been to Disney World multiple times. They know many of the characters from TV & from friends and are now asking to see movies we don’t have access to through Netflix, Redbox, or other outlets because Disney is protective over their films. We could spend $30 per BlueRay, but we don’t need to. I wanted to find out… could I get a better deal than Amazon.com? Enter Disney Movie Club…
Finally, I actually sat down with the information and really looked into it. And did the math. And read the fine print. It turns out that you can get big title Blue-Ray Disney movies for under $10 each if you take advantage of the Disney Movie Club. However, you need to know a bit about how it works & do a little planning to save the most money. Don’t worry, you don’t need a degree in it like you do to go to Disney World. You should be able to make the most out of the program by taking an hour or so out of your day.
Here’s how it works:
- Start with the new member special, usually you get about 5 movies for $1 + 2 movies at a discount that you’ll want to take advantage of. Don’t just go and sign-up at DisneyMovieClub.com, this won’t be the best offer. You’ll want to use a member’s link and/or promo code. More on that below.
We ended up with 7 Blue-rays + a gift (Frozen blanket at the time, varies; currently a Dory ornament) for $21.90 shipped
- Buy up to 3 movies at “full price” within the next 2 years. If you take advantage of the “Bonus Titles” & purchase the 6th & 7th movie at sign-up, one of those will count towards this commitment and you will only need to purchase 2 additional movies at “full price”. I’m using quotations because it’s not the $30 full price you’re thinking… you can purchase many titles at a discount as a member that will count towards this commitment. Specials vary, but if you wait for something on your wishlist to go on special, you can save additional money.
- Here’s the “catch”, there is a little work involved… about 13 times a year, you’ll receive a mailing & email announcing a “Featured Title”. If you do not respond, you will be charged & sent this title. It’s easy to respond online, just don’t forget. Additionally, only your 1st order ships free, so to save on shipping, it’s best to order your remaining 3-4 titles at once ($3.95 for the 1st movie, $1.49 for each additional).
How to get the best deal:
- Use a promo code at DisneyMovieClub.com to get the best special deal. This may be snail-mailed to you, emailed, or found online. It’s generally 5 movies for $1 + 2 additional @ discount + free gift. This won’t appear until you use a promo code. This should get you 7 movies for about $22 shipped.
At the time of this post, good promo codes to try: 28563, 30058
- Always respond “no” to the Featured Title unless it’s something you really want. If it is something you want, use the specials & order additional titles to complete your 2-3 movie commitment at the same time.
- Order multiple movies at a time. You’ll save $1.50 shipping per additional title, plus you can take advantage of discounts (40% off or 50% off additional titles). If you buy 1 blueray at $29.95 + an additional title at 50% off the total will be $50.49 shipped, so about $25/movie. Add an additional movie on special and your order would be about $64 shipped, so$21.30/movie. I’d only do this for titles you really want, so watch the specials when you login to respond to the featured title. The full price movie will count towards your commitment, discounted titles will not. However, many users report that they were able to get discounted titles to count towards their commitment. If you’re ever confused, I recommend calling to speak to a “Cast Member”. They are very helpful! We were sent an incorrect movie for out 1st order and they sent out the correct title + let us keep the other.
- Enter your rewards numbers at DisneyMovieRewards.com. Your initial order will likely get you 1050 – 1250 points, which is enough to earn a free movie (as long as it’s not a new release). Keep saving if you’d like to earn the new release.
- Share your persona link. It should look something like mine: http://fbuy.me/elhZn. When a friend signs up, you get 2 free movies!
- You will get member discounts after your initial order. After your commitment, you will have access to “VIP” prices & specials. Use them, or…
- Cancel your membership after your commitment and start fresh again. It seems that Disney has no problem letting you cancel and start over whenever you wish.
It’s hard to give you an exact number because it depends on which specials you take advantage of and which movies you order, but here’s an example.
Initial 7 movies for $21.90Full-Price Title Shipped: $33.90
Full-Price Title Shipped: $33.90
$89.70 for 9 Disney Blue-rays @ $9.97/movie
+ Disney Rewards Movie + Free Gift, so $8.97/movie
Not bad for building a Disney Blue-ray collection. Plus, you don’t have to stick to kid’s titles. You can also purchase adult titles including Marvel movies! The member prices are good and there are some member exclusives which definitely make the membership worth int IMHO.
If you buy DVD’s rather than Blue-Ray, the full price is $24.95. If you select DVD as your preference (even though you prefer Blue-Ray), some members have received offers to upgrade your preference to Blue-Ray & Receive an additional free title.
Here’s the fine print:
As a Disney Movie Club member, all you need to do is buy 3 movies at regular Club prices in the next 24 months (starting at $29.95 per DVD and $29.95 per Blu-ray), plus shipping and processing of $3.95 for the first title in each order, and $1.49 for each additional title in that same order. You may cancel your membership at any time after purchasing the 3 movies.
By agreeing to purchase at least 3 regular-priced movies in the next 24 months, you qualify to receive 5 Disney Movies of your choice from the list of titles currently available from the Disney Movie Club for $1.00 total. You’ll also receive a free “Frozen” blanket. Shipping and processing is free. Please allow 2-4 weeks to receive your first shipment.
YOU MAY ALSO TAKE A 6TH MOVIE NOW AT THE SPECIAL PRICE OF JUST $11.95. PLUS YOU PAY NO ADDITIONAL SHIPPING AND PROCESSING CHARGE. This Bonus Movie will even count towards your purchase commitment, so you’ll only need to purchase 2 more movies in the next 24 months instead of 3.
PLUS YOU CAN SAVE EVEN MORE by selecting a 7TH movie NOW FOR the special price of JUST $8.95 AND STILL PAY NO ADDITIONAL SHIPPING AND PROCESSING CHARGE.
About every 4 weeks (up to 13 times a year) you will receive a mailing indicating the “Featured Title.” Plus you may also receive up to 2 more seasonal Featured Title mailings a year. That’s up to 15 buying opportunities a year! You can choose to receive the Featured Title, an alternate, or no movie at all. If you do not inform us of your choice within 10 days or by the date specified on the card (either by returning the card, visiting the website, or by calling the 800 number on the card), the Featured Title will be automatically shipped to you.
When you join the Disney Movie Club, you may provide us with your credit card information (website accepts credit card orders only). You will be charged only for the movies that you order (including Featured Title shipments) plus shipping and processing. We will not charge your credit card until the date of shipment. Sorry, we do not accept debit cards or check cards at this time.
You agree to fulfill your purchase commitment within 24 months of sign-up. If you are unable to meet your commitment within your commitment period, your credit card may be charged for the value of the 5 reduced-priced titles you have received. This amount is dependent upon your initial sign up offer and the format of your introductory movies.
Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed! If you are not completely satisfied with your introductory titles, simply return them within 10 days of receipt along with written notice informing us that you want to cancel your membership. We will refund any money you might have sent, including shipping and processing costs, as part of our no-risk guarantee.
This offer is limited to customers residing in the contiguous United States and may be withdrawn at any time. Disney Movie Club cannot ship to APOs or FPOs. Limit: one membership per household. Must be 18 years of age or older to join. Applicable sales tax will be added to orders shipped to California and Wisconsin.
This offer may not be combined with any other promotional offer, including coupons and rebates.
All applications to join the Disney Movie Club are subject to review. We reserve the right to request additional information, to reject any application, or to cancel any membership. We reserve the right to alter or end this offer at any time.
All titles are subject to availability.